Monday, June 25, 2012

fat girl problems.

If you're anything like me, once fall rolls around, you're thinking "I have at least six months until I have to wear shorts and swimsuits again. EAT ALL OF THE THINGS." And then you eat all of the things. And then, before you know it... spring arrives, and then summer, and you're still kind of a fatty. Life is hard, guys. I've had virtually all the time in the world to get skinny over the past year, but haven't been able to find the motivation to do so. I'm the type that gets all gung-ho about working out... for like, a week. Then it's back to eating Creamy Chicken Noodz on the couch in my sweatpants while watching HGTV. (If you've never had Creamy Chicken Noodz, don't start. It's a slippery slope into obesity.)

Anyway - I've come to find that I am a visual person. If I have something tangible that says "WORK OUT, FATTY" in a place that I'm unable to overlook, I'm more likely to work out. My freshman year of college, my roommate and I printed off photos of Victoria's Secret models and taped them up by our computers as motivation. I was skinny then, so I must have been doing something right... amidst the many nights of binge drinking.

So, I made this in like five minutes. I've already been made fun of for it, but I could care less. It has actually helped motivate me quite a bit. Something about being able to write down a workout makes me feel accomplished. Being able to see the week at large has also been a big help, in a "here's what I've done, here's what I need to do" type of way. So here's this. It's cheesy, whatever. Use it if you'd like. Make fun of me for using it if you'd like. Eat some Creamy Chicken Noodz if you'd like. 
"Yes You Can" graphic from www.puglypixel.com

I've also found that if I have someone to work out with, I'm less likely to skip a workout. As a result, I've recruited my "newly-available" friend, Maddie, as a workout partner. We work out together on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. I've also caught up with my aforementioned college roommate, Alex, who just so happens to be a new mom with some (like, three... maybe.) extra lbs to shed. (At least she has an excuse.) Alex, her babe, and I walk (swiftly, mind you... practically a jog.) around the Walnut Creek trail every Tuesday and catch up on life. It's been so great to reconnect with her and have that time to laugh about old memories and mistakes we made while in Iowa City. As for Thursdays and weekends, I'm on my own. 

What do you do to stay in shape? Any foolproof methods you think I should try? Comment away.

Also - here is a public cry to anyone in Omaha that enjoys rollerblading - I NEED A PARTNER. It is mildly embarrassing to rollerblade alone.

Here's to getting fit and not fat(ter).


3 comments:

  1. The summer after I graduated college, before I had a real job, I used to rollerblade around Oakland. People saw me, they made fun of me (a lot), but at least I was skinnier than them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone makes fun of me for rollerblading. They all think it is so easy. Wrong. I have like TWO friends that can rollerblade. It's great cardio! Wish you were around to go with me. :)

      Delete
  2. Your blog is fun to read whenever I see posts that you updated. Just thought I'd throw a compliment around to another person in the same job situation

    ReplyDelete