Wednesday, May 16, 2012

a little drive.


Last Sunday, I was heading back to Omaha and decided it was too nice to go home.  I spent about five hours driving gravel & back roads north of Council Bluffs, to Crescent & Missouri Valley, Iowa + Hitchcock Park and DeSoto National Wildlife Refuge.  Because of the proximity to the Missouri River, I was able to see the devastation from last year's flood that still cripples much of the area. 


(I plan on going hiking + camping @ Hitchcock soon!  Join me?)

from my favorite place on a gloomy day- with a view of Big Lake in Council Bluffs to the left & Omaha's skyline in the distance @ Lewis & Clark Monument Park
I love my hometown - Carson, Iowa
Sunny Side is looking real nice & clean with plenty of vacancies in Missouri Valley, Iowa.  
I've loved watching the deterioration of this shed in Carson over the years.

The photos below show DeSoto Refuge & nearby houses that were destroyed/evacuated during the flood. 





I don't know if this restaurant was closed before the flood or they shut-down during, but I have always loved the building/roof.
an airfield near Missouri Valley.  
crushin' hard on this barn. 
aged walls in Carson, Iowa
 It was so relaxing to spend the afternoon driving with no destination in mind.  Despite the immense damage to the area, I found beauty in the life that still thrives & the green that now grows. 

I should do that more often.  I guess I can set a New Years resolution in May, right?  


No comments:

Post a Comment