Tuesday, February 7, 2012

I hope our plaster walls hold up...

Another quality of our house:  90% of the walls are made of plaster.  This makes it very difficult to hang... well, anything.  This flaw has not stopped us from hanging... well, anything.  

Yesterday at Joe's, I found an old drawer for $2.  I've been wanting to make a shelf out of something similar for a while now. 

Before:

During:
I had an old, striped sweater that I wanted to use for the backdrop.  I used wax-paper to measure the inside. 
 (Have you realized the endless uses for wax-paper?  The next time you need to hang a multi-bracket object:  measure the distance between the brackets with wax paper, poke holes, tape paper to the wall, nail through holes, remove paper, hang object.  Perfect.)


I used craft-glue on the drawer and pressed the fabric inside.  I had to clean up a few edges.  (with scissors... I really need a rotary cutter.)


Finished product
(It doesn't have a place on my walls quite yet.  I need to find some sturdy brackets that won't ruin our plaster walls.)

Also, about Joe's....  It soon became a favorite, hidden in a downtown alleyway.  Joe is always there- his adorable dog sitting at his side.  It's fairly unorganized, but after venturing through a time or two, you get the general idea of where things go.  Joe is completely reasonable on prices & I have never walked away disappointed.  Here are some iPhone photos I snapped yesterday:


This desk was priced at $29.  WANT.



No comments:

Post a Comment